This blog already features a lot of NBA players, but still none of them are playing the center position. So, on this post we will feature the one of the most dominant center in the NBA today.
Dwight Howard has been a great basketball player ever since he started playing this game when he was still in high school. He played center position very well that he became very famous not just in Atlanta, but in the whole country as well. That is why when Dwight Howard decided to go straight to the NBA from high school, many teams were interested in him and he became the top pick of that year. Since then, Howard has become one of the most talented and most popular NBA players.
Below are the 20 interesting facts about Dwight Howard. I bet some of these facts are still new to you.
- His full name is Dwight David Howard.
- Howard was born on December 8, 1985 in Atlanta, Georgia.
- His parents are Dwight Sr. and Sheryl Howard, both are connected to sports. His father is an Athletic Director of Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy and his mother was a player on the inaugural women’s basketball team at Morris Brown College. This shows where Dwight got his great athleticism.
- Howard started playing basketball when he was nine years old as a guard because of his quickness and great athletic ability.
- Then, he started playing as a power forward most of the time when he entered high school and became their leader on almost any aspects of the stat sheets.
- Dwight Howard led the Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy to a state title in 2004. He was recognized all over the country as the best American high school basketball player of that same year and Dwight was awarded a Naismith Prep Player of the Year Award, Morgan Wotten High School Player of the Year Award, Gatorade National Player of the Year and the McDonald’s National Player of the Year honor.
- He decided to go straight to the NBA after high school and because of his great high school basketball career, many teams pursue him. Dwight was drafted by the Orlando Magic as their 1st overall pick in 2004.
- Howard was the first player to go straight to the NBA from high school that played and start all of the 82 games of his first season.
- On his game against the Toronto Raptors on November 1, 2004, he grabbed 20 rebounds in that game and he became the youngest player in NBA history to do that.
- He was also the youngest player in NBA history to lead the league in rebounds after season 2005-2006.
- Dwight Howard played for the Orlando Magic for 8 seasons before he was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers in 2012.
- He only played for one season in a Laker uniform because of some unknown reasons and decided to play for another team.
- Dwight later signed with the Houston Rockets and played along with James Harden for three seasons until 2016.
- Since he entered in the NBA, he was selected 8-times already as an All-Star.
- Howard was also a five-time All-Defensive member and a three-time Defensive Player of the Year. This makes him as one of the top Defensive players in the NBA.
- Not just that, because he also led the Orlando Magic to three division titles and one conference title.
- Dwight has a great leaping ability also and that is why he managed to win in the 2008 NBA Slam Dunk Contest.
- Howard idolized Kevin Garnett when he was growing up. That is the reason why he wears a number 12 jersey because it is the reverse of what Garnett was wearing when he was still playing with the Minnesota Timberwolves which is no. 21.
- He is wearing size 22 shoes.
- Dwight Howard is a devoted Christian and he already helped a lot of people, especially children, with his Dwight Howard Foundation. This foundation is doing a lot of global outreach activities in several countries.